In the South Bay, Vegi Garden, a Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Sunnyvale which offered dim sum, closed and Loving Hut opened in Palo Alto. The Palo Alto location is a cafe offering soups, sandwiches, salads, unlike the more traditional Vietnamese fare offered at its new San Francisco location and other Supreme Master Ching Hai restaurants.
In San Francisco, vegetarian Himalayan fusion foods are now available at Karma in SF's Richmond district. This is mostly a takeout place, so check it out. We've heard that Cafe Gratitude, which has 4 raw restaurants in SF, Berkeley, and San Rafael, has unadvertised specials at its San Rafael location -- cooked vegan tacos and burritos, test items for its new location in SF's Mission district.
Seed of Life is a new vegan restaurant in Berkeley, sharing space and opening up after Vital Ital Calabash closes.
For more details on the above, and regular updates, check out our Guide News blog
Have Your Say -- voice your opinion with an Ultimate Guide review. With 1,579 reviews in the Ultimate Guide, these vegetarian restaurants are ranked the best.
Top Ten Vegetarian Restaurants
1) The Happy Bamboo, San Jose - 4.85 (New entry)
2) Fragrance Land, Cupertino - 4.83
3) Merit Vegetarian, Sunnyvale - 4.68 (New entry)
4) Garden Fresh, Mtn View - 4.58
5) Vegetarian House, San Jose - 4.57
6) Pizza Plaza, Oakland - 4.52
7) Vital Ital Calabash - 4.5
8) Good Karma, San Jose - 4.38
9) Cha-Ya, Berkeley - 4.33
10) Tofoo Com Chay, San Jose - 4.29