FAQFAQ   Search ForumSearch Forum   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book Club with Vegan Refreshments?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What types of books would you most want to read in a book club?
fiction: novels and short story collections
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
non-fiction: biographies and essays, science and social science, etc.
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

brucecannon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all:

I understand the value of using this forum to keep everything related to AR and Veg. in one place, but it isn't easy to read, to find threads, to follow threads, etc.

I actually think Yahoo Groups are much better at facilitating single-topic discussions. For a nice simple email list with a web archive, I recommend setting up a public YG for the book club. I use them for everything from parties to professional services and they work great and are free.

--Bruce
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
San Francisco main library

They do have conference rooms available. The ones available for monthly use can seat 15 people. Anyone who is a SF resident can reserve them. That's where we had our Meat Market book discussion. It worked rather well. It was not a round table, but rectangular, and also had the advantage of being quiet. All the details are on the website.

Some restaurants can be noisey and don't lend themselves to casual conversation, much less a book discussion. And, having it in a meeting room may be more inclusive towards folks who prefer not to dine out for whatever reasons (food preference, budget, etc). Or, this could also be an alternating factor (meeting room this time, restaurant next time, etc)

Quote:
If enough East Bay and SF/close to SF people express interest to be feasible, having two separate sets of group meetings might be a possibility.

That'd be good because if there are too many people, discussion are difficult to allow everyone opportunity to participate.

Quote:
I, personally, will not meet at a restaurant or other place that serves non vegetarian food.

I won't object to that Laughing

Quote:
if anyone wants to take over leadership for this activity, I'd be grateful.

You're doing a great job Lisa! I'll be including this in the Sept newsletter with a link to this thread for people to contact you.
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce, Rachel, Emily, Bob, Tammy, Chris, and the three people I'm in contact with via emails, and anybody else I've forgotten, and others interested,

I'd be willing to switch venues for posts although I do like this forum. I agree the thread is getting a bit unwieldy. I was going to change anyway: possibly to evite, but could do yahoo instead, once we get an initial meeting time and place.

I'm actually looking for a site where my email address won't be posted on any message itself, if possible. So if anybody knows one...

Bruce, is there a way you could send me (via pm) or the group/post a link to a sample of a single issue discussion on yahoo? I've never used yahoo for that so I don't know how it works there. Thanks.

The San Francisco main library might be our best bet for an initial book club meeting, and perhaps subsequent meetings as well. We'd need between 6-15 committed participants, and would have to plan in advance as reservations for a room need to be made, and I'd have to go in at least 10 days ahead of the first time for an orientation. (Unless yours, Tammy, would suffice from the group that you had there already.)
Smile

If there are enough East Bay people that express interest, perhaps there could be a separate East Bay group. So far that's not the case.

The Mechanics' Institute does charge for meeting rooms. I'd be willing to discuss it if people are interested anyway, but the SFPL would be a free meeting place. If we do meet or sometimes meet at restaurants, I'd like it to be at different places so haven't contacted any yet. (I eat out only once or twice a week and I like variety!) Very Happy Exclamation

Ananda Fuara is a short block away from the Main Library so it would be one easy place to have a dining out in conjunction with a book group discussion.

What I'd like to do (feel free to keep making suggestions if you'd like) is to wait until Tammy includes this potential event in the September newsletter to see who else might be interested in particpating. Then I'd be happy to make arrangements for an initial meeting once I get input from everybody about their preferences for days/times, places, books, etc.

Oh, and I'll also peruse book club sites and look at your suggestions and make up a list of possible books from which we can select. If everybody gives multiple suggestions, it will be difficult agree on what to choose for a first book selection!

Rolling Eyes

Thanks. Take care. Bye for now. Lisa
chris
Level 5 Vegan / Mentor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Yahoo! vs Forums etc. Reply with quote

We run several very large Yahoo! Group Mailing lists for BAVeg, and have done so for close to 4 years, and we really like the tool, but it's not very good for threaded discussion. Especially when someone new joins and wants to catch up. I know that email archives can be threaded, but it doesnt always work and is stilll hard to catch up on old discussion.

I probably track 20 different Yahoo! Groups, but also prefer forums for some groups/websites/hobbies I participate in.

Having organized threads in a forum allows people to pick and choose what to read, and it also allows better organization/seperation. But it's all a matter of personal choice and works for the job in hand.

Evite also works well, but it's more of a one off thing to plan specific events and it's hard to really have broader discussion and in this case, would not help much beyond tracking how's coming to an event.

Bottom line, and BAV's golden rule is that organizers/volunteers should do whatever works best for them - 2nd rule is to remember that you'll never please everyone, and to remember rule #1 and look after yourself first.

If the book club ideas does take off it's pretty easy to create a seperate sub-forum here just for the book club to make it easier for people to track, and we can have seperate theads for each things, e.g. Which books, another on location ideas, and another for each book to discuss stuff post meeting. These are just example, and you get the idea.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Chris
calicokitten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Recent ideas Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I like the idea of meeting at a quiet place like the SF Public Library to discuss the book, then heading over to a vegan restaurant. That sounds easy and fun! Or, if you can find a vegan restaurant that is conducive to a book discussion, that would work, too.
Keep up the good work!
-Rachel
calicokitten

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: "One at a Time" Book Idea and ... Red Vic Cafe? Reply with quote

I just saw Tammy's post on the new book about the lives of 75 animals that went through animal shelters and their eventual fate. Thanks for pointing this out Tammy ... sounds like a worthwhile read to me. Here is the link to the article about the book "One at a Time" that Tammy cited.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/20/HOGFHE953D1.DTL

Eventually when we make a list of potential books for the group to read, let's add this one to the list.

Also, Tina Flower and I went to see McLIBEL at the Red Vic Theater on Sunday, and we passed by the Red Vic Cafe where they serve vegetarian (not all vegan Sad ) refreshments, and they have tables where people can get together and talk. The girl behind the counter said that Bay Area Veg is already using this spot for letter-writing parties. The location is in the Haight in SF, so it's not very BART-able, but I just wanted to post it as another idea for a book discussion location ...

Take care,
Rachel
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Well, I'm waiting for Tammy's post about this idea in the September newsletter, compiling a short list of books as a possible first book: probably will be the 2 ar/veg books Tammy mentioned and about 4 general books, which would represent the proportion of general to animal rights books we'd read over the course of the year. And I'm trying to figure out some potential days/times we could meet.

If anybody has any ideas on the scheduling issue, trying not to conflict with other BAV activities while being as convenient as possible for those interested, please share!!! (I, for instance, can never meet on Thursday evenings, and I prefer weekend days to evenings but I'm VERY flexible about that! Trying to find a good time for a group should be fun! Wink Thanks!

Rachel, the Red Vic also isn't so great for parking but it would be a pleasant place to meet!

calicokitten wrote:
the Red Vic Cafe where they serve vegetarian (not all vegan Sad ) refreshments, and they have tables where people can get together and talk. The girl behind the counter said that Bay Area Veg is already using this spot for letter-writing parties. The location is in the Haight in SF, so it's not very BART-able, but I just wanted to post it as another idea for a book discussion location ...

I want to get a group committed for a first meeting/book discussion and if we have between 6-15 the SF main library might be a good first location. As a group, we could then discuss future meeting sites and decide on a books read schedule, whether we make up a long list of books or decide month to month what the next book would be.

One "rule" in choosing books that I think is crucial is that all books selected be available in paperback. That would make it more likely for books to be available at libraries and would limit the financial expenditures of those who chose or needed to buy the books.

Tammy, if you're following this thread: when does the September newsletter come out? And would it be helpful for me to give you the potential books and times for that announcement? (I can't be available over Labor Day weekend to post but could do so before or after.)

Thanks all for your continued interest. I'm hoping to have a first meeting sometime no later than October.

Take care. Bye for now. Lisa
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: specific book ideas for first BAV book club meeting Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

Below is a list from which we can choose a first book. I'm sure we're all open to other suggestions also, but we have to start with some narrowed down and manageable list. Most the following books have been enjoyed by other book clubs and/or are award winners. There are 4 fiction, 4 nonfiction, 2 animal rights/veg books. If we could make a selection from this list for the first book, then the group could nominate and vote on all future books, either month to month or in advance.

People who have interest in participating in the book club can look up these books on Amazon.com or other sites/stores/libraries, then maybe we can have some sort of voting process. And, I think two things to keep in mind are that a book club is an opportunity to read books which you otherwise might have never read, and that not everyone can enjoy every book. That said, it would be helpful to pick a "good" first book. And these suggestions are not written in stone. Also, while it would be ideal to always choose books none of the participants have read, it might not be feasible for our first book; I have read some of the books on this list.

Since the tentative plan is to read 4 ar/veg books and 8 general books each year, it might be good to set the tone by NOT starting with an ar/veg book. If the group wants to start with a veg book though, I think Tammy said she might be willing to plan/lead those meetings. If we pick a general book I'm willing to do so.

Any suggestions about day & time would be most appreciated! Exclamation Smile

Thanks. Lisa (list below)

ideas for first book:

general books for 8 of the 12 meetings:

fiction:

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
China Boy by Gus Lee [first/current SF city book club selection]
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

nonfiction:

Blackbird A Childhood Lost and Found by Jennifer Lauck
The End of Nature by Bill McKibben
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich

Tammy's suggestions for the ar/veg 4 of 12 of the meetings:

Living Among Meat Eaters by Carol Adams
The China Study by T. Colin Campbell
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: VOTE TALLY HERE: CLOSED FOR NOW WHILE WE TRY TO MAKE PLANS Reply with quote

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VOTES:

* SUMMARY: seem to be leaning toward Sunday afternoons and either Living Among Meat Eaters or The Kite Runner:

8 people/votes: (not including 1 lost vote/person's info)

books:

2 The Kite Runner
(one person second choice Blackbird)(one person second choice Living Among Meat Eaters)

2 Living Among Meat Eaters

1 The Jane Austen Book Club
(second choice The Kite Runner)

1 The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

1 Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America

1 abstention

(starting to mention second choices too so we can actually select a book - there may be too many books to choose from!)

days/times:

4 Sunday afternoon: (1 says NO Thursdays, 1 says early afternoon such as 1:00, 1 says only selected week nights would work, 1 says mid afternoon)

1 weekends

1 Monday evening (Tuesday evening as second choice-says that Sunday afternoons are ok also)

1 any day except Thursdays

1 prefer weekdays to weekends: not sure if can make Sundays

* 1 vote and that person's information was lost and hopefully will be resubmitted

* so far votes counted cast by: Lisa, Rachel, Will, Abi, Peggy, Emily, Tammy, Alicia

* I WOULD LIKE TO POST THIS POSSIBLE ACTIVITY TO READERSCIRCLE.ORG AND CRAIGSLIST.ORG, BUT IT WOULD BE MORE EFFECTIVE (AND SEEMS TO BE EXPECTED!) THAT AN INITIAL MEETING TIME AND PLACE BE SCHEDULED FIRST.

*** And we do need a firm commitment from at least 6 people if we're going to book a room at the SFPL. If we might have fewer than 6 participants, we'll meet at a veg*n restaurant for vegan food.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ideas for first book:

* NOTE: Please check out calicokitten's post right below this post as it has links to info on all of the nominated books!

* ALSO NOTE: When you suggest a day/time for meetings, please keep in mind that if we meet at a library, home, public space, we might want to do an optional vegan diining out after or before our book discussion. Thanks!

general books for 8 of the 12 meetings:

fiction:

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
China Boy by Gus Lee [first/current SF city book club selection]
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon

nonfiction:

Blackbird A Childhood Lost and Found by Jennifer Lauck
The End of Nature by Bill McKibben
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich

Tammy's suggestions for the ar/veg 4 of 12 of the meetings:

Living Among Meat Eaters by Carol Adams
The China Study by T. Colin Campbell

Hi Everybody,

I will edit THIS specific post as votes come in.

Please vote for your favorite book on the list for our first book, if you think there's a relatively good chance that you'll try to attend the first discussion meeting.

The deadline for voting is Monday, 19 September.

Also, please either make some suggestions for our once a month meeting day and time, and/or please share days/times that aren't good for you.

Because I nominated the books, I won't vote for my choice of book. I will share that I can never meet on Thursdays, but that I will try to be flexible about being able to be there for other days/times most suggested.

For your vote and suggestions, you can either email me at LHveganliving@aol.com, send me a personal message at www.bayareaveg.org/forum/ where my member name is LHLisavegan, or you can post on this running book club discussion thread at http://www.bayareaveg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638&start=30 (where it's very easy to register if you haven't already done so).

Once the votes are in and I see how many people might be interested, I'll make some arrangements, or Tammy probably will if an ar/veg book is chosen. If it looks as though we'll have a minimum of 6 and up to 15 people, I'll make a reservation for a private room at the San Francisco Public Library. (Unless you have a better suggestion!) If we have just a few people, we can pick a good veg*n restaurant where we could meet for the first time; perhaps in October, or probably November, giving everyone a full month to read the selected book.

Thanks for your participation! Lisa

Last edited by LHLisavegan on Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:18 pm; edited 22 times in total
will

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: vote for book Reply with quote

living among meat eaters gets my vote. i think it would be an especially good read for us newbie vegans.
weekends are best for me since i'm all the way down here in san jose.

will
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks,

lisa, just wondering what the responses are leaning towards? my vote would be living among meat eaters (LAME). although i've been vegan for about 15 years, i just read that book a few years ago and i still found it interesting and helpful. it's a quick read, too.

but, it's fine w/me if the first book is a non-veg/ar selection. eventually (hopefully) we'll get to LAME.

for my participation, i'm partial to sunday mid-afternoon... which would coincide nicely w/food afterwards or during.... as long as it's not the same date as the Compassionate Living program, which i host. (you can see the monthly events overview for the most obvious dates of when other events in SF and elsewhere are happening)

as for location, i like the main library. someone other than me needs to book it, because the person booking the room definitely has to be at the meeting and i may not be able to attend all the discussions.

my other thought is around coordination and timing to give people enough time to acquire the book and read it, as well as the timing around promoting the event. for the baveg newsletter, it usually goes out at the beginning of the month and deadline is the week prior. for the october newsletter, there's an exception and we will be sending it out early so if you want this to go in the october newsletter, i'll need complete info by the 22nd.

cheers,
tammy
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: VOTE TALLY ABOVE LAST BY LHLISAVEGAN Reply with quote

Tammy and Everybody,

PM to Tammy but to everyone FYI:

http://www.bayareaveg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2754#2754

Link is post a few above this where the running vote tally is. Please keep checking THAT post for current information! You can scroll up from here. Check out this last post (before this one) by LHLisavegan and the post below it with good book information by calicokitten.

I will keep ediing post: http://www.bayareaveg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2754#2754 with our votes & meeting(s) info.

Thanks. Lisa
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: first book club meeting & tentative schedu Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

Thank you to all who voted and gave helpful information.

The first book club meeting will be held on the 4th Sunday in January, 1/22/05 from 3-5 in the afternoon. We'll be discussing the book The Kite Runner, which is a novel by Khaled Hosseini. It's a book that's received much acclaim and has been enjoyed by many book clubs. Even if you've previously read it, please join us and contribute to and enjoy the discussion.

The link to information about this book at amazon.com is http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1594480001/qid=1125876281/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-3029006-4582353?v=glance&s=books

The BAV Book Club will be reading 7 or 8 general books a year such as novels, general nonfiction, and short story collections (which must be available in paperback) for 7 or 8 meetings a year on the 4th Sundays of January, March, April, June, July, September, October, and in December we might meet on the 1st Sunday of the month or some other convenient time, or might take that month off depending on what members want. These meetings will tentatively be held at the San Francisco Public Library main branch, located at 100 Larkin Street at Grove, from 2:00 to 4:00 in the afternoons, contingent on getting reservations for a private room for 6-15 participants. At times we might meet at other locations if they are more convenient for members.

We will have optional dining outs after the meetings at vegan and vegetarian restaurants, where we will be ordering 100% vegan food. Participants do not need to be vegans or vegetarians; we'll welcome everyone.

There is a slight possibility that the group can get permission from the SFPL to have vegan refreshments in the room during our book talks - if so, we could have a vegan pot luck instead of a vegan dining out some months.

Future books will be decided by consensus, via this forum and at book club meetings.

Tammy will be holding the 4 ar/veg book meetings on the 2nd Sundays of February, May, August, and November as part of this book club, and in conjunction with BAV's Compassionate Living Program.

More info to follow - please keep checking THIS post.

For now, to RSVP for the 1/22/05 meeting to a reserve a space for yourself, please send a private message to LHLisavegan on this forum, post to this forum, or you can also email bavbookgroup@yahoo.com, which is an email address I've set up for book group business. If I post to craigslist.org and/or readerscircle.org about this activity, and if evite is eventually used for RSVPs, that will be the email address of record.

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and enjoying some interesting book discussions and delicious vegan food.

Lisa
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, this one thread has had over 26,000 views! Guess vegan book clubs are of interest to people.

When I googled 'vegan book club' this showed up 5th on the list.

Tammy
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: re vegan book clubs hits google Reply with quote

Hi Tammy,

At one point I checked and it was # 1. Very Happy
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Lisa, you certainly created a popular activity! Laughing It was about 3 years ago that you first proposed this ..

I've enjoyed reading since I was young but I would not have looked to go to a vegan book club, so I know I've certainly enjoyed your suggestion, too, as it led to starting the 2nd book club.

Tammy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BAV Forum Index -> BAVeg Book Club All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: