FAQFAQ   Search ForumSearch Forum   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book Club with Vegan Refreshments?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What types of books would you most want to read in a book club?
fiction: novels and short story collections
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
non-fiction: biographies and essays, science and social science, etc.
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Book Club with Vegan Refreshments? Reply with quote

I am a vegan who loves to read and Iíve always wanted to join a book group. But those once a month book club meetings always seem to be as much about what food is eaten as about discussing the book read the previous month. All the book groups I know of have all omnivorous members and mostly animal based foods are provided.

My ideal book group would discuss general books (novels, general non-fiction, etc.) not vegan and animal rights books. It would be a regular book club group but with only vegan food for refreshments.

For many reasons Iíd rather not meet at peopleís homes. For instance I canít ever host a group at my apartment and other people might have this issue also, and some members might be allergic to other membersí companion animals at their homes.

I would like to belong to a book group that meets once a month at various Bay Area vegan and vegetarian restaurants. Another option would be to sometimes meet in a free reserved library room or other public place where we could talk, and not have food be part of the book discussion. Perhaps occasionally we could meet in a park or other outdoor setting for a vegan potluck to accompany the book discussion. Iím in San Francisco so somewhere in SF or close by would work best for me, but location of meetings would depend on what would be convenient for all members.

Does anyone know of a ďveganĒ book club that reads general (non-vegan related) books, or are there any members on this forum who would be interested belonging to this type of book club?
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question Lisa.

About a dozen of us recently met to discuss the book MEAT MARKET: Animals, Ethics, and Money by Erik Marcus. It was a critical look at factory farming and strategies used by the animal rights, animal welfare, and vegetarian communities to promote vegetarianism and reforms for animals.

It was not a light book, but a heavy topic. I'd never been to a book discussion before and I found it interesting to exchange ideas and thoughts about the book and the topic overall.

A few folks commented they would like to continue reading AR and veg books, and I had actually considered trying to organize something like this maybe once a quarter, but my thought was to cover subject matter related to vegetarianism or animal rights, alternating from each category.

That said, I'm all for people organizing the type of events that they woudl like to see happen. If you do find sufficient interest to do this, and you'd like to make it an official group event, that'd be welcome too, as we welcome events that promote veg fellowship and community.

The model that you proposed is used by another veg book club, I think VSDC - I found them while googling on veg book club Smile
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tammy,

Thanks for your reply and info. I just looked up the VSDC book club group and emailed a veg*n friend of mine who lives in that area and has worked for the VRG to ask what, if anything, she knows about it. The book list looked fairly interesting. I'll wait and see if there's any response.

At one time I would have welcomed joining a book group with other vegans and vegetarians (and those expressing interest in veg*ism) to discuss vegetarian and animal rights books, but for several years now I have too difficult a time reading the disturbing books and seeing the disturbing films about any kind of animal exploitation. But I think such a group would be a terrific addition to the activities offered.

And I would possibly be interested in attending some of the meetings if that kind of participation was an option.

Thank you again for responding. Lisa
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa

I haven't made any strides in getting any other veg/AR book discussions going. Perhaps if your plans get more organized, we could work together and perhaps have a veg / AR book once a quarter. (i.e. make my idea for a book club a subset of your idea for a book club)

Perhaps that is a win-win approach Laughing What do you think?
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tammy & Everyone,

Tammy, That's an idea that might work and I would be open to it. But we need to hear from other people. Would we reach more people by posting the idea to one or more Bay Area Vegetarians mailing lists?

Most book clubs I know of that aren't sponsored by book stores or libraries are not planned by just one person, or even two, but the original few in the group (usually at least 4-6): they get together and choose the first book or two, meeting places and "ground rules."

Many people have viewed this post but there have been no replies showing interest; so I was thinking my idea just wasn't right for this membership, which I would understand.

It's possible that meeting once a month to discuss general books is not an activity that people participating in this forum have interest in and/or time for, at least not via Bay Area Vegetarians.

It sounds as though you got a pretty good group together to discuss an animal rights/vegetarian book and possibly more members would be interested in reading those types of books on a regular basis, and not reading typical book club books at all.

While I would be interested in reading 12 books a year and having 4 of them be ar/veg*n books, I'm not sure we'd have the same people participating year round. I have a feeling that there might be large groups 4 times a year and perhaps not enough people for lively and interesting group meetings the rest of the year.

I used to read every animal rights and vegan related book that was published and years ago would have welcomed a book club to discuss those books. (So I have some confidence there would be a lot of people out there who would love your original idea.) I often continue to buy ar/vegan promoting books and films to support the authors/film makers, but I now get way too sad and angry to actually read most of those books or view most of the films. My rationale for avoiding much of this material is that since I'm vegan I no longer "need" the new information in order to help me make changes in my life. When I was trying to become vegan, I felt obligated to give myself as much information as possible, and for a long time I really enjoyed immersing myself in those books, even when they broke my heart. Maybe being able to discuss such books with like minded people would make reading them again more tolerable.

I don't know that I'm quite ready to organize things either. If even several people showed interest, we could do some group emails to set up a time and place for an initial meeting. If people wouldn't want to meet at veg*n restaurants, I would then be happy to make some phone calls to libraries and other locations for possible meeting places.

If you think we might reach interested people by posting your latest idea of a combined veg/ar and general books book group to one of the email lists, please let me know.

Thanks so much. Lisa
eperkins

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa,

I just came across your post a couple of days ago and am only now getting a chance to respond. I'd definitely be interested in a vegan book group that meets to discuss general books (or occasionally vegan/AR books, as Tammy suggested). When I used to live in DC, I participated a few times in the VSDC's book club, and that was a lot of fun. I think meeting at vegetarian restaurants is a good idea, and I also live in San Francisco, so that would be most convenient for me (though anywhere that's BART accessible would be fine too).

I'm guessing you might get more of a response if you post to the Bay Area Veg mailing list -- I have no idea how much the forums are used vs. the mailing list, but speaking for myself, I rely mostly on the mailing list to keep me informed about events and only check the forums once in a while, when I have some extra time. You could also try listing your criteria for the group on a more general book-club site, like readerscircle.org, so that it would reach a broader group of people.

-Emily
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: re: book club with vegan refreshments Reply with quote

Hi Emily, Tammy, and Everyone,

I'm not sure how to phrase things, but I plan to post something about a potential book group to the Bay Area Vegetarians email list within the next few days. (I found this forum only recently even though I've subscribed to the email list and have used the Ultimate Guide for much longer so I imagine there are more people who read the emails than the discussion posts.)

I think it would be optimal if we had 4-6 people showing some interest before we try to get things going.

We could then do a group email to pick an initial vegetarian restaurant or other place to meet for an initial meeting, and possibly pick a first book to read. Each of us could bring lists of books we'd have interest in reading with the group and any other ideas we might have. Then we could set some ground rules: such as reading only paperback books, deciding types of books, etc.

Emily, thanks also for suggesting readerscircle.org. I'll check them out also, but I'm not sure how many vegans/vegetarians/interested people we'd find there. But it wouldn't hurt to post something there also.

And Emily, since you attended some of the VSDC book club meetings, if you have any ideas of what would work or not work for this, please share them!

Thanks! Lisa
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gals

Personally, I love the forum because it threads the discussions, and because you can "watch topics" or choose to receive notification of threads you've replied to, it's pretty much the same as a mailing list... except you have to log in to post.

Anyways, for the book club -- I would be happy to be more active in the veg / AR selections. I already have in my mind a list of books and since it would be only a few selections a year, it's probably already too long

I would rotate between a "soft" topic and a "hard" topic

For example, we recently did MEAT MARKET: ANIMALS, ETHICS, AND MONEY

So, next time I'd suggest something like

Living Among Meat Eaters or The China Study

followed by something like Dominion or Animal Liberation

I think having these types of topics intermixed in a general book club would be great! Maybe folks who would not have thought to read these books would be more interested.

And, Lisa, I agree, it is difficult to read these books. But when I went to a PETA Helping Animals 101 conference in February, they showed some graphic footage. They told us it would be difficult to watch, but they asked us to, because its what the animals endure and for us to be able to explain it to others, we needed to see what is happening.

In the same way, I feel reading books are like that. I've been vegan for over a decade now and I don't need to read anything else to convince me. But I think reading reinfornces my commitment, no, it's more like it renews my commitment.. and perhaps I'm better able to express myself.

As far as the forums - yes, they're only lightly used. I think we have a wide range of very savvy computer people on the list to not so savvy, and mailing lists are just simpler for people to understand... Plus, when we do outreach and stuff, that's what we've historically tended to promote. If you want responses to this, I agree w/Emily, post to the list. But -- maybe ask people to respond in the forum or to email you privately.

If this is structured as an "official" BAVeg event, then we'll pull it along with our general outreach/event promotion -- which may or may not help Laughing It's always hard for me to predict what events will be successful.

Here's a line-up of our monthly events schedule and my only request would be (and this may be difficult) to avoid having it on the same day as an event in the same city. If it conflicts with another event happening in a different part of the Bay Area (say SF and San Jose, that's fine, but 2 events in SF, well, it does happen, but we try to avoid it if possible)

http://www.bayareaveg.org/monthlyevents.htm

Whew, long note! Embarassed Thanks for reading this far

Tammy
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tammy and Everybody,

I would never propose an activity on your website and have meetings that conflict with Bay Area Vegetarian activities already planned. But thanks so much for that page link; it's a good reminder of what times are off limits. If a book club actually comes about, we'd choose meeting days/times where no other BAV activities take place, and that are as convenient for members as possible.

When I post, I can mention the once a month group with 8 meetings a year for discussing general books and 4 meetings with Tammy as leader with ar/vegetarian books for discussion, if that sounds like an accurate description to you Tammy.

I don't feel comfortable giving out a book list for the 8 general books or making any guidelines on how the meetings should go, other than that any food consumed be vegan. (I suppose even that could get tricky if we meet at vegetarian vs. vegan restaurants and members want to order vegetarian, but I'd still like to propose vegan food only as a guideline.) But the successful book groups I know of are egalitarian: members bring their ideas and everyone discusses meeting places and which book(s) to read next.

I'm willing to do some of the work and initial organizing and researching, but I don't feel comfortable being the "leader" here or calling it "my activity" with Bay Area Vegetarians. If someone else wanted to take over and be "leader," I'd be happy participating, but I really don't think we have to have someone in that role for this type of activity. I could be really wrong here though. I've never attended a Bay Area Vegetarians event so if my idea doesn't fit within what's done here, I'd understand that also and stop pursuing this.

Below is helpful info off the faqs from the readerscircle.org website that Emily mentioned.

Lisa

>> I'd like to start a book club, but I've never been part of one. Do you have any suggestions?
Organizing a successful book club depends chiefly on finding participants who agree about what to read and how serious or social meetings should be. This makes the description field of your listing especially important. The more thoroughly you articulate your expectations, the more likely you will be to find just the right participants.
Once you have found people, an initial meeting should to be held to decide the dates of meetings and which books will be discussed at each meeting. Other details you may want to address are the length of one's commitment to the group and the process by which new members might be admitted.
:: Hosting a Book Club ::
Hosting a successful book club depends chiefly on finding participants who agree about what to read and how serious or social meetings should be. This makes the description field of your listing especially important. The more thoroughly you articulate your expectations, the more likely you will be to find just the right participants.
Once you have found people who are interested, an initial meeting needs to be held to decide which dates the group will meet and which books will be discussed at each meeting. This information should then be typed and distributed to each member.
Other details you may want to address at the first meeting are the length of one's initial commitment to the group and whether or not the group should remain open to new members.
Finally, as with reader's circles you may want to maintain an email address list and send a reminder two or three days before a meeting. <<
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks,

Lisa, that all sounds great!

I just want to clarify - with so many activities happening in the Bay Area, esp. SF, it is inevitable that events will clash at some point. After all, there are only 8 weekend days in a month and a lot of different groups and individuals organizing activities.

BAVeg's philosophy is that we do not "own" any dates or weekends. We encourage our volunteers to hold events at times/locations convenient for them. I just wanted to point out what our schedule was, so that if it is possible to avoid a conflict, that would be great. I do appreciate your consideration and willingness in that regard. Very Happy

Also, it does not have to be a *group* event. If that's putting you off, you can simply organize it as an individual. But regardless, someone will need to "own" the idea to post it and collect responses, etc. at least initially. Maybe post it, and someone will love the idea and want to do it!

If it worked out, I would certainly love to have veg/AR topics included occasionally.

And we'll have to get you out to a BAVeg event soon Razz
brucecannon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Great idea Reply with quote

Hi Lisa:

In response to your post to the mailing list, I like the idea too. My own interest is in pop fiction/non, rather than AR books. The vegan food/book discussion combo sounds very nice to me. I also would be a follower rather than a leader, but willing to help. Perhaps it could somehow be organized as a group effort if no single individual has the time to step up and drive; though the latter seems to be much more effective than the former.

--Bruce
eperkins

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa and everyone,

All the suggestions so far sound good, and I'd be happy to help with organizing but would also not be comfortable taking on a leadership role. But I think it could be a group effort, for the most part, once it gets going. I only participated a few times in the VSDC group and don't really even recall how the book selection worked. But I think deciding on books and meeting places as a group would be a good way to go -- we could either decide on future books/meeting places at the meetings or use the forum to vote on them. And anything else that was required -- like making reservations if necessary -- we could take turns doing.

-Emily
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: re book club group with vegan food Reply with quote

Hi Bruce, Emily, Tammy, and Everyone,

To keep you posted: there are the four of us and also two others who have expressed interest to me via email.

I know that two of us are in San Francisco and one of us is on the San Mateo coast; I don't know where the other three are based, although I have asked the two people who emailed me where they are based.

I'm wondering if everyone here would plan on attending almost every meeting or only general or only ar/veg book meetings? If people don't want to read everything decided on by group consensus, it sounds as though we need a few more people to respond. I would think that EVERY group meeting will need a minimum of four attending to have an interesting discussion, and six to twelve would be even better.

If we get a few more people, how do you feel about making up a group email list for planning purposes and then we could post the events so others would be kept informed of them also?

Emily, thank you for your offer of help. I agree with you that once things get going, we can decide on books and meeting places as a group, and I don't think we need a leader for the discussion itself: most book groups have chats that are fairly informal. We could work on it as a group if the meetings weren't going well.

I'll keep everybody posted if I get more emails, and we'll all see it if people post here.

Lisa
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If we get a few more people, how do you feel about making up a group email list for planning purposes and then we could post the events so others would be kept informed of them also?

If its okay for the discussion to be open to everyone, could just keep it here in the forum... What I like about the forum (and maybe useful to keeping track of book suggestions) is people can edit their posts.

Quote:
I'm wondering if everyone here would plan on attending almost every meeting or only general or only ar/veg book meetings?

I think (realistically) some people would make most meetings and many will try it out and may not return. Alot will just depend on where the initial location is and if its a strict rule that people have to read the book before coming to discuss it versus a more casual, social get together.

For me, I'm more interested in the veg/AR books, but only a few times a year. I already had this idea before Lisa posted, that's why I thought maybe it would work to combine the two ideas together. Idea

Maybe rotating organizing responsibilities will work out ?
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tammy & All,

Tammy, I love the forum and my preference would be to have all communication here, but so far 2 of the 6 interested people are emailing me and asking me to keep them posted that way. Others may follow. Also, this trail could get REALLY long and difficult for new people to read through.

If some people want to come for only the ar/veg books and some people attend for only the general novels/nonfiction books, we'll need more participants so that each meeting is large enough for an interesting discussion. So far, some respondents seem interested in one or the other only. I like the idea of the one mixed group but it might end up being two separate groups of members. Which would be ok, but that's why I asked and am trying to get a feel for when people would participate.

Right now we don't have enough response to go ahead.

I'm trying to decide whether to create a listing at readerscircle.org, the site Emily suggested. It's a great site and I did create an account name, unlisted and no descriptioin given so far. I'm afraid if we post there, we'll attract some people who end up being unfriendly re veg*nism, even though the vegan only food accompaniment would be in the description as would Bay Area Vegetarians. But we might find more interested people also.

Lisa
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we'll try to use this forum to make our plans once we get sufficient response.

I sent to following email to those who have been in contact via email only and hopefully they will join us here:

re Bay Area Vegetarians book club with vegan refreshments

Hi,

For those of you who have expressed possible interest in a book club with vegan refreshments, I am happy to reply to you via email about any developments if necessary. But it would be easier for me, for the group as a whole, and for you also, if you would please go to:

http://www.bayareaveg.org/forum/index.php

and register if you haven't already, and (you can view but not post without registering) go to the link for our book group discussion posts. It's in the Discussion folder under [Poll] Book Club with Vegan Refreshments? The direct link to the posts is:

http://www.bayareaveg.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638

I'll give this same info to anyone else who emails me. It would be easier if everyone could see all who are interested. On this site you can be as private about your personal information as you want to be. You don't have to give your name, email, etc. until you choose to do so.

If this activity comes to fruition, we'll use this forum to decide on books, meeting places, meeting times, etc. So if you want to put your two cents in about those decisions, please do so on this forum.

Thanks so much for your interest and input.

Lisa
eperkins

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa & everyone,

With regard to readerscircle.org, a friend in the DC area recommended the site to me after she found a group through it. My friend isn't vegetarian, but the group she's in happens to be -- they meet at people's houses and are each asked to bring a vegetarian dish. So although it's possible you'd find some people who aren't veg*n-friendly, as long as that aspect of the group is made clear in the listing, I'd imagine those people wouldn't express interest in joining. And some people, like my friend in DC, might not be vegan themselves but would be open to joining a vegan group and being exposed to good vegan food. I think there are also a lot of veg*ns who don't necessarily seek out veg-specific events so might not see the group on the Bay Area Vegetarians site, but might be interested in joining this type of book group -- and maybe would even take part in other Bay Area Vegetarians events as a result. Of course, I don't even know how many people visit readerscircle.org, so have no idea how much response you'd receive, but if you don't hear from more people through the forum and mailing list, it couldn't hurt. There's always the option of a craigslist posting, too.

-Emily
Vegan Living

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Book group Reply with quote

I'm interested in this group, and would be open to AR as well as other books, and would see it as something where I would want to attend all or as many of the gatherings as possible. I agree with Tammy that BAVEG doesn't limit certain days and times of the week for any particular event, ie, no ownership of a spot on the calendar. That having been said, I do have my commitment to the third Sunday of the month for New World dinners at 6PM. Other than that there is flexibility. I live in the East Bay and don't mind coming to SF. I love walking and BARTing, so an easily accessible location/restaurant/library room is important. My car is on restricted local duty only for the most part.
Bob
tammy
Vegan Hobbit / Mentor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm trying to decide whether to create a listing at readerscircle.org, the site Emily suggested. It's a great site and I did create an account name, unlisted and no descriptioin given so far.

Lisa, thanks for taking the initiative on this! This is wonderful!! Smile

Quote:
I'm afraid if we post there, we'll attract some people who end up being unfriendly re veg*nism, even though the vegan only food accompaniment would be in the description as would Bay Area Vegetarians. But we might find more interested people also.

All of our events are listed on our website every month. Knock on wood, we haven't had any problems in nearly 4 years of events -- and we've had over 150 events in 2005 alone. I think there are more advantages to having interesting and interested people join us. So, I don't think it's necessary for us to hide... Cool Anyone just has to google on 'vegetarians' and we show up on the first page of results!

To add to the description, yes, I would include about the vegan refreshments, and also that a few of the selections every year will be about vegetarianism and animal rights. But everyone is welcome to attend each book discussion, or just the ones that interst them. And, it should probably have some type of description in there about the books that will be of interest to the group.

Thanks for keeping us updated on responses you're receiving. If this looks like this has momentum, I can include it in the September newsletter to see if that draws any add'l response or Emily's suggestion to try posting to Craigslist is a good one.

Quote:
I love walking and BARTing, so an easily accessible location/restaurant/library room is important.

That's good.. Although, also want to mention - if meeting at a restaurant over food, a round table will facilitate discussion, and that right there eliminates a lot of restaurants.

Arrow Can you tell that I like the quote feature and little smilies!? Razz
calicokitten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: YES, I want to join the book discussion group! Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I got back-logged on my e-mail this week and just got the chance to read your discussion on the book group. YES, COUNT ME IN. I'm interesting in reading all sorts of books including VEGAN/AR. I've got an idea for a venue ... how about having it in someone's house, like a vegan pot-luck? Or, if people are too busy cramming to finish the book and don't have time to cook, we could get take-out from a yummy vegan restaurant. Then we'd still be supporting a vegan restaurant with our $$$.
What do you think?

As an example: I offer up my place as one possible venue.
I live two blocks from Union Square in San Franicsco, equi-distant from the Montgomery and Powell St. BART stations. There is often street parking in the evenings and weekends, and if not, there is a pretty cheap parking garage on my block.
I've got space for as many as 7 people sitting in a circle, with MORE potentially seated on the floor cushions and/or dining room chairs. There wouldn't be a big table for us to sit around, but people could all face each other and talk about the book.
Not totally ideal, but it could work!

Ideas for future books to read ...

I've read and highly recommend:
MEAT MARKET (2005)
SIDEWAYS (2004) by Rex Pickett (I didn't see the movie, people tell me it was terrible! But the book was hilarious!)
SHE'S COME UNDONE (1996) by Wally Lamb

And I'm dying to read ...
THE PIG WHO SANG TO THE MOON (2004) by Jeffrey Masson
THE LONG EMERGENCY (2005) by James Kunstler
1776 (2005) by David McCullough
FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON (1966) by Harcourt Brace

Right now I'm reading ...
THE PERFECT PLAY (2004) by Louise Wener
and it is QUITE GOOD so far!

THANK YOU for getting the book discussion idea started. I realize we may not have the CRITICAL MASS of veggie-lovin' book readers that we need to press forward, but in case we do, I'm here and ready to participate.

-Rachel
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rachel, Bruce, Bob, Emily, Tammy, and Everybody,

Well, now there are 9 potentially interested respondents: 6 here and 3 still by email to me. Of the 9: 3 of us are in San Francisco, 2 are in the East Bay, 1 is on the San Mateo coast, and the whereabouts of 3 are unknown so far.

Thanks Rachel and others for all your ideas!

My strong preference is to NOT meet in private houses/apartments, but to meet in veg restaurants and/or public spaces such as library rooms. But this would be a group decision, obviously. And Rachel, thanks for that very generous offer.

And Tammy, thanks for your plan to include this budding activity idea in the BAV September newsletter. I think that would be helpful!

I'm going to just watch things on this thread for about a week or so, unless there's a post I think needs an immediate response. If it looks as though we need more people, I will take Emily and Tammy's suggestions and do a posting to both readerscircle.org and craigslist.org at that time. And I will keep up with this thread every day.

Everybody take care and let's see where this goes. Bye for now. Lisa
chris
Level 5 Vegan / Mentor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Possible Meeting Location Reply with quote

There's a new spacious and comfy cafe near Herbivores on Valencia that maybe a good choice. I cant remember the name of it but it's on the opposite side of the street towards the KFC (between 21st and 22nd.)

It has vegan pastries as well as soy milk and has lots of seating, but does have free wi-fi so maybe busy on weekends.

Maybe we could start at Herbivores and then hang out there to continue the discussion?

It's also very accessible by BART and Muni.

Chris
calicokitten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Fellini's in Berkeley: Possible Book Club Spot? Reply with quote

Based on Tammy's comment on the Bay Area Veg Message Board:
"For the Berkeley LWP, it's at Fellini's and I believe Sara chose that restaurant because it has some wonderful vegan food selections, and they cook their vegan foods in a separate pan. The manager even changed the bulb over the table so it would be brighter for them to write letters."

Maybe Fellini's in Berkeley would be a good spot for the book club, too!
calicokitten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Cafe Macondo for book discussion? Reply with quote

Another idea for a book discussion spot would be Cafe Macondo ... "an old-fashioned revolutionary coffee house" on 16th between Guerrero and Valencia (one block from the vegan store Otsu) in San Francisco. They're not vegetarian, but I have always found vegan salads, snacks, juices, smoothies, and sometimes even vegan main entrees when I go there. It seems to me they always have a vegetarian entree but not always a vegan one. Sad Maybe we could talk to the manager and ask for a vegan entree to be available on our book discussion day. Actually, it has been a couple years since I've been to Macondo ... I hope they're still in business! It's an easy walk from 16th Street Mission so it's BART-able.

Here are some Cafe Macondo reviews:
http://cityguide.aol.com/sanfrancisco/entertainment/venue.adp?vid=194187
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/review/868329
LHLisavegan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everybody, and thank you for your posts/ideas,

Some of my feelings on the book club group:

I, personally, will not meet at a restaurant or other place that serves non vegetarian food. So if the group wants to meet at such a place, I can share whatever info I have (including that on interested people that so far have contacted only me) that would be useful to the group, but I wouldn't participate in those meetings.

I would like to meet at VARIOUS veg*n restaurants, if we meet at restaurants, NOT the same restaurant month after month.

While Tammy is right that a round table facilitates discussion, even most round tables have room for a maximum number of diners (10-12?), and I have worked with restaurants before re groups larger than four and up to 20 or so (and it would probably work for even slightly larger groups), and most will let a large group arrange square tables in a way that enables all present to participate in a single conversation. Pretty well anyway.
Wink

From what little feedback I have so far, it sounds as though San Francisco is a good central location for most, although some meetings could take place in the East Bay or the upper Peninsula, or other places convenient to participating members. If enough East Bay and SF/close to SF people express interest to be feasible, having two separate sets of group meetings might be a possibility.

This next week I plan to call the San Francisco main library (100 Larkin at Grove, and a short block from Ananda Fuara, think ok for public transportation), and the Mechanics' Institute Library (where I am a member; their address is 57 Post St. and they're very near BART and MUNI and a few blocks away from both the Sutter/Stockton and Mission garages), about whether we could hold meetings free of charge in any of their private rooms, and will inform you of what I find out. If we met at one of these places, maybe we could do optional dining outs before or after book discussions. I will also call some veg*n restaurants about seating possibilities although getting accurate info will be a bit more problematic as we don't know the number of participants to expect for any first and subsequent meetings.

And I will reiterate, that if anyone wants to take over leadership for this activity, I'd be grateful.

Thanks. Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BAV Forum Index -> BAVeg Book Club All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: